Today’s sad news is that Adam West has died. Haven’t heard yet if he had been ill or if this was sudden and unexpected.
James Warren ran a rather unique publishing company. He didn’t pay top dollar for top talent, and instead offered creative freedom that attracted some of the best artists working at the time to draw stories in Creepy, Eerie, Blazing Combat and, later, Vampirella. The contributors included Frank Frazetta, who was painting covers for Warren during the period he was also creating his famous Conan the Barbarian covers for Lancer.
Somebody must think that the Warren catalog is in the public domain, because there’s a scanned archive of many Warren magazines available at this link on Archive.org.
Issue #7 includes this concise Frazetta biography. I replaced the fan art on the page with the cover of Creepy #4.
The Iconix Brand Group is selling its 80% interest in the ‘Peanuts’ property, and some likely buyers are in China. The other 20% is owned by the Schulz family.
Click here to hear a BBC conversation with Art Spiegelman. The first volume of his epic work “Maus” is already 30 years old.
If “Race” Bannon is related to Steve Bannon, why does he look like Mike Pence? I’ll be taking in the Hanna-Barbera exhibit at the Norman Rockwell Museum to find out!